Microphone is a very simple device but it also affects your audio quality the most and for those who are recording content to be shared with lots of people, getting a more reliable setup like MXL V67G Vs MXL 990 will be a wise decision. Both of them are highly reviewed as a great options for voice recording at home but just like many other microphones, they are also different and before you pick one of these models, go check which will suit your preference better below.
In this article, we are going to give you information about:
- Which Microphone to Choose
- What are MXL V67G and MXL 990
- What MXL V67G and MXL 990 Look Like
- What are the Polar Pattern and Frequency Response of MXL V67G and MXL 990
- How are the Performance of MXL V67G and MXL 990
- What are the Minus of MXL V67G and MXL 990
- MXL V67G Vs MXL 990
Shopping for a new Microphone
If camera is a popular device to capture footage and still images, microphone is the tool to capture audio and all of them are equally necessary if you are a content maker, depending on what we are going to upload on the platform. Among those equipment, microphone is probably the simplest gear to pick because in general all of them can capture good audio while further adjustment can be achieved from your mixer or computer when necessary. However, the fact is choosing the best option is not as simple as it sounds.
- The first thing you may want to consider is where the microphone is going to be used because application inside a professional studio and live situation will be different right off the bat. As you may already know there are condenser and dynamic microphone in which the former is more sensitive and able to pick up more noise while the latter is more rugged and doesn’t need power supply. This is the general requirement and there are cases when both types can be used on the opposite application.
- The second factor is their polar patterns and as the name suggests, it is the pattern that decide from which side the microphone will capture sound. Depending on the model, some can have more patterns that it can operate in and some are lesser. For example most desktop microphones are cardioid but can also be bi-directional such as the QuadCast that you can check on our Blue Yeti Nano Vs HyperZ QuadCast.
- It is also useful to check their frequency response because while it is hard to distinguish with ears, if you are going to use them for certain applications such as recording snares, toms, or bass drum, a wider range from the low range like 50 Hz or 40 Hz are an ideal option to choose.
- The next specs which is hard to distinguish is the sensitivity or how quiet the microphone can detect a sound. It can be expressed by different systems but in general, the lower the number, the more sensitive it is. SPL or sound pressure level and it is expressed with dBs saying about the maximum volume a microphone can handle.
- Last but not least is their build quality because while it doesn’t prominently affect the microphone sound quality, in a more complicated way the structure and the kind or metals including the precision of its manufacturing may play some role in deciding the overall performance of the microphone.
|MXL V67G||MXL 990|
|Shop now at Amazon||click here||click here|
|Product Dimensions||7.1 x 2 x 2 inches||11.8 x 7.3 x 3.5 inches
|Shipping Weight||1.84 pounds||2.69 pounds|
About MXL V67G and MXL 990
There are so many great options out there and it is all up to you about which microphone to choose but, if you are looking for a method to shop quickly, it is best to pick based on your application since most of the time all popular models from well-known companies are equally reliable. In addition, it is great to start your journey from the budget first so then we can eliminate those options which doesn’t fall in the range of you can spend or willing to spend.
For those with certain favorite brands, shopping from them will make things more effective and less time consuming as well, especially if you have ever used one of their products and are satisfied with their performance. Among those many options that you can shop from, MXL is always one of the most reliable brands to choose and consider if you are looking for a high quality and versatile microphone. They have many great models in the catalogue which is good for there are always the ideal option for different users.
For those who are in the market for a microphone that will not ask too much from the pocket but still perform very good, MXL V67G and MXL 990 will be a very interesting model to consider. Both of them are very similar to each other because they are equally very affordable and equally highly rated for capturing a very nice sound quality; some even say they can be on par to those coming in higher-market range yet, they still can’t beat those professional levels models.
Both of them are capsule condenser microphones so you will need an audio interface before connecting the unit to a computer. It is worth the price and not a problem if you have already used one in the past but for those who are not willing to have a complicated setting and want the one that can be a plug-and-play type, we do recommend choosing a USB microphone instead, especially if it is just for streaming. Their price can be more expensive but in comparison, much simpler to use.
MXL V67G and MXL 990 Design
Similar to many condenser microphones out there, MXL V67G and MXL 990 are sporting the same design which is circular or tube-like housing but they are also different because the former is aesthetically more pleasing to the eyes, with is attractive dual color fashion. It is probably among the most attractive microphone in this price range with a unique green vintage body combined with a gold-plated round grill. Overall for those who are loving a retro style, we are sure you will also love this microphone as well.
The unit is about 1.3 lbs. and material wise, it is also solid. On the other side, the MXL 990 is a more into the classic and serious type of design with nothing but a full silver wine plain aesthetic. This microphone means business and unattractive in fashion but the build quality is there with all metal chassis. However, if you are more into a serious setting or don’t pay attention to how the microphone look, there is nothing wrong with this model.
MXL V67G and MXL 990 Polar Pattern and Frequency Response
The first thing you may want to know about these microphones is probably the polar pattern because it decides how the unit will capture your audio and in this side, since they are an affordable model, we can’t enjoy a multi patterns option here and both of them are single cardioid microphone. These models will mainly pick up sound from the front part and will be less from the side, top, back, or even bottom. As for the frequency response itself, they are also the same from 30Hz to 20kHz.
MXL V67G and MXL 990 Performance
As it has been mentioned above, these are condenser microphone so we will need an XLR cable to be connected into a phantom power such as in an audio interface and outside the single polar pattern, we have nothing in the unit to adjust the performance. What makes MXL 990 is a bit better is because it comes with an accessory pack including sturdy carry case, a microphone mount and a good shock mount in which the latest is not included in the MXL V67G version.
As for the performance level, both of MXL V67G and MXL 990 are working amazingly well and side by side they are also very similar when used with the same preset. What we notice about the difference on their sound is that the MXL V67G is slightly fuller and warmer compared to the latter. Your acoustic guitar will sound thicker somehow in this microphone and also just slightly louder. They also don’t capture too much sounds from your voice without filter which we like very much.
Due to the cardioid pattern, these microphones are perfectly ideal for streaming content or to record your voice while recording a video directly to computer. Typing sound will still be present and audible but they are not very annoying or overpowering the voice.
MXL V67G and MXL 990 Cons
However, they are also not for a very serious works because the MXL 990 tend to sound thin when used to record acoustics so you will probably need to try different positioning when for example recording a demo or similar activity while the MXL V67G is a little bit harsh at the top if this microphone is meant to be for vocal while the 1-inch microphone capsule itself tend to pick up more room noise especially if your workstation room is not treated.
MXL V67G vs MXL 990
Both of MXL V67G and MXL 990 are an amazing option for the price range, they are not the best but definitely work great for the budget we spent. Side by side the MXL V67G is a more attractive model but it may also pick up more room noise yet it also sound fuller when used for acoustic instrument. The MXL 990 itself is a little bit thinner on acoustic which may require you to try different positioning with the unit.
All in all they are a great option for those who are concerned about spending a lot of budget for they are very affordable yet, if you are going to record voice the MXL 990 is a more ideal option while instrument seems better with MXL V67G.